Long Melford Cricket Club

Long Melford Cricket Club - Club History

Club History - 1953 Onwards

1953

Although the club not formally formed at this time, a group of individuals who were later to form Long Melford CC played a few games on the field at Rodbridge Corner encompassed by the A134 the Foxearth Road & the picnic park.

1954

The club which played for many years before the war is reformed, playing on the field encompassed by Bull Lane and the now disused road which leads to Cuckoo Tye.

1956

For the next ten years Stonylands, the home of Long Melford Football Club is the playing base of the club.

1966

The club moves to a new ground, Rectory Meadow, adjoining the eastern fringe of Long Melford church yard.

1969

The club is homeless, and consequently all matches have to be played away.

1970

For the next two years Sudbury Grammar school in Acton Lane provides a playing base for the club.

1972

After 18 years without a permanent ground the club moves to its present headquarters at Meetingfield. The opening celebrations include a cricket match, Long Melford CC v Guest XI. Bill Edrich stars in the guest XI, with Michael Hunt (Anglia TV weather presenter) umpiring.

1982

Harvey Florence, after 28 years acting as scorer, retires.

1983

1st XI runners up in Division One of the Suffolk League.

1985

2nd XI formed.


1st XI runners up in Suffolk.

1986

1st XI join the Lancaster Garages League Div 3, taking the runners up position.

1987

2nd XI maintain the clubs presence in the Suffolk League.

1988     The Midweek team, having played friendlies until now, are inaugrual members of the Sudbury                            Midweek League. The league ran until 1992.

1989     Club tour the Dorking area.

1989     The club invests in an artificial wicket. To celebrate this event, the first Presidents Day is established.

1990     First eleven change league to play in the Two Counties League.

1990     Graham Penny scores 190 in a home game against Little Clacton, a club record.

1992     The second eleven join the Two Counties League.

1992     With the club plans for a new pavilion underway, many fundraising events are organised, including the              release of 22 for tea, compiled by Susan Pettifer.

1994    The new pavilion is opened.

1996    The midweek team enters the Adams Harrison League, based in Haverhill.

2000    The club decides that it will seriously embark on creating a Junior section. With this in mind, the club                 employs Graeme Oakes as coach, and trains up Daren Bigg, Ivan Newman and Robert Giles as Level             1 coaches to aid him.

2005    Midweek eleven win Division 3 of Adams Harrison League.

2006    Midweek eleven win Division 2 of Adams Harrison League.

2006    Second eleven promoted from Division 8 of the Two Counties League.

2007    Due to the restructuring of the Two Counties League playing all their games on a Saturday only, the                 club decides to enter the Hunts County Bats League, based in Suffolk. Promotion is gained from                       Division 5 by finishing 2nd.

2008    Hunts county side win promotion for second successive season.

2008    Both teams in Two Counties League gain promotion.

2011    Midweek eleven reach the Adams Harrison League Cup final, finishing runners-up.

2011    Both sides in the Two Counties League win their divisions, Division 4 and Division 7 respectively.

2012    First eleven promoted to Division 2 of Two Counties League.

2013    With membership increasing, the club decides to enter a second eleven in the Hunts County Bats                     League.

2014    Both sides in the Hunts County Bats League are promoted.

2014    First eleven in the Two Counties League are promoted back to Division 2, following relegation the                     previous season.

2015    Second eleven of the Hunts County Bats League win Division 4.

UA-42668537-1